Tuesday, May 31, 2011


You all may not have seen my Sewing/Living room before, or if you need a refresher you can see it here.

In an attempt to prevent the sewing room from merging with the living room (as it has done almost on a daily basis) I am moving. To the basement. With (possiby, in the future) the spiders. I will be sewing while armed with a large can of spider killing spray, so they better not invade my space. Cause if they do, I won't hesitate for a second to spray them to death. Here is a little sneak peek at what is to come (sorry they are just cell phone pics for now).

Dresser, after sanding the veneer off and adding some bracers to it (it was super old and wobbly).

Drawers, the fronts were sanded down and then primed with this deep brown.
Crackle Medium over the dark base
This is after the top-coat dried. The crazy, complicated damask print I used as a stencil that took me ALL DAY to finish cutting out cause it was 9 pages. LOL

And the finished dresser, with the damask print. I have decopaged the bottom drawer, but you will see that in a later post :)

 If you are friends with me on facebook you have probably seen these, and the pictures of the desk I refinished. I am excited to say that I am about half way finished with moving all of my stuff down stairs. I am trying to find/build a book shelf - ish type of thing (not confusing at all, right?) where I can store works in progress and/or finished stuff. But there is a lot of room, and it's not carpet which means clean up will be lots easier. Lots of light too, and since I will be sewing on the desk I can actually use my table for cutting. It's intended purpose :)

Stay tuned for more updates as I go through this process, it's going to be so nice!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Oh my goodness!

I'm sorry it has been so long! Two months even! That's just craziness. But, life happens. For those that may not know, my Father-in-law has had cancer for a long time. He finally had to start doing radiation treatments, and my husband and I live the closest to them. Which means we have decided to put a lot of other things on hold and spend time with them. They needed some help getting their garden started, which in turn inspired me to get mine started. It has been so nice to spend time with them, I couldn't be luckier, I absolutely love my husbands parents :) I keep telling Scott how much he is like his father, and the older he gets the more true that becomes. But I can't think of a better person to be like. They really are wonderful. 

I have a great friend that was in need of a hat for an event she is going to be attending this summer, and she asked me to make her a mini top hat. It took me some time digging, and making sure I had the right items in the correct colors. But I did it! It's finally finished. I'm so excited to share the finished product with all my wonderful readers! It was a fairly easy project... or would have been if I hadn't been so horribly under prepared. But that is entirely my own fault. I had to make my own pattern. That's not usually too hard to do, just time consuming. I really should have sketched it out first. I'm so bad about that. Even in my graphic design projects I rarely draw things up first. It's so much faster to manipulate things digitally on my computer that it is for me to draw up a sketch of an idea. One day I will learn! :) Anyway, here are the photos of the finished hat, I hope you enjoy! 

Back view of hat
Front view of hat